Got Questions? We’ve Got Answers!
Here at Banas Stones we get a lot of questions about our premium natural stones. We put together this Frequently Asked Question page in hopes it will help answer some of your questions quickly. If you need more help or dont find the question listed here, please contact our office by email or by phone (905) 857-9684.
- Banas natural stone has been used for interior and exterior applications for decades in Canada & the US and only gets more beautiful with age. Our stones have been tested in this climate for decades and proven to maintain their strength and durability in the toughest of our climate. However, the results could vary due to improper installation.
- Natural stone is attractive as well as durable. The wide range of colours & textures accent any outdoor setting.
- Natural stone will last indefinitely. Most of the ancient structures that are still standing today are made of natural stone (i.e. the pyramids, the Roman Coliseum, and Hadrian’s Wall)
- Sealing stone depends on where it is to be installed and what type of stone is used. Granite is virtually impenetrable and does not require sealing. Limestone being more dense in formation can be sealed with great results. Sandstone is more porous and should not be sealed as it needs to breathe. Sealing sandstone will trap condensation which will deposit salt, and other impurities to the surface of the stone. Therefore we recommend using a protective BBQ mat where cooking, eating or drinking will occur. Banas Stones® is not liable for any damages (peeling, discoloring, efflorescence, etc.) that may occur after sealing or external treatment is applied on any Banas Stones® product. Sealing any product will void all Banas Stones® warranties.
Kindly note our Banas Limited Lifetime Warranty excludes Banas Ivory® as it is to be discontinued. For more information please contact our office by email or phone (905) 857-9684.
- Power washing after installation brings out the natural variation and vibrant colour in the stone. Should the stone become stained after the installation there are a variety of products that have some success depending on the stain and how quickly it is dealt with. Sandblasting will deal with deeper stains. The best way to deal with stains is to prevent them.
Kindly note that we do not recommend acid or solvent based cleaners, as the resulting damage can appear far worse than the original stains.
For more information please contact our office by email or by phone (905) 857-9684.
- Iron when exposed to air & water will result in rust stains. In lighter shades, naturally occurring rust marks could be more prominent. Rusting is a natural phenomenon that varies depending on the surrounding environment. Natural rust marks will appear as small lines or tiny spots with the possibility of disappearing over time. There is virtually no cure for these kinds of smaller rust marks. However, larger areas that show rust could be due to foreign droppings or immigrated minerals or salts from the subsoil or foundation. Banas Stones® has no control over naturally occurring rust, extra precaution should be taken to prevent any droppings that may further stain the stone. For superficial rust stains there are solvents designed for use with stones that will remove them.
- All natural stone will have some variation in colours. This consistency varies depending on the colour chosen. For example, Banas Flint, Banas Beige, Banas Grey, etc. have a more consistent colour while Banas Bronte, Banas Lavender, Banas Fossil etc have considerable variation in tone with swirls & inclusions. Please ask our knowledgeable sales staff to help you choose the best stone for your particular taste & application.
- It depends on the nature of the stone and the surface treatment. When limestone is split, it naturally has a fine texture while sandstone has more topographical relief. Granite can be bush hammered to make a pebbled surface or flamed to a finer texture. We do have other surface finishes available to suit any landscaping project.
- Darker-coloured natural stone, such as Kota Black, that has been exposed to the sun can experience fading over time. Feel free to call us if you want to know more about which stone will fade more than others.
- Rough stone can be used either indoor or outdoor. Many people like the rustic look of stone floors, mantles, and wall and hearth stones. Principally however, it is used for outdoor applications such as patios, walkways, pools and outdoor kitchens.
- Our stone comes in various sizes depending on your requirements:
Paver or flagstone: Thickness: 25mm+/-1mm Dimensions: 300mm x 600mm, 450mm x 600mm, 600mm x 600mm, 600mm x 900mm
Coping: Thickness: 2” Dimensions: 12”, 16" or 16” width and lengths of 36”, 48”, 60” and 72”
Steps: Thickness: 6” or 7" Dimensions: 16” width and lengths or 48”, 60”, 72”, 84” & 96”
Pier Caps: Thickness: 3” Dimensions: 20” x 20”, 24” x 24”, 28” x 28”, 30” x 30”, 32” x 32”
Slabs: Thickness: 2” Dimensions: 24” width by 48”, 60”, 72”, 84”, 96” and 36” x 72”, 48” x 72” We also offer custom sizes. Please contact our office for more information by email or to locate a dealer near you by phone (905)857-9684.
- There are patterns used for laying the stone which depend on the size of area as well as the number of different sizes used. We recommend our clients use their own imagination in creating their personal oasis. We have all sizes and colours available to suit your tastes and needs.
- Stone pavers can be used for a driveway provided that the base is well constructed and the surface is thoroughly sealed.
- We have numerous dealers across Canada and the United States. Please contact our office by email or by phone (905) 857-9684 to locate a dealer near you.
- We carry a large stock of all of our products therefore normally your order can be picked up the same day unless it requires custom cutting.
- Depending on the size small projects can be custom cut right on our premises. For larger projects or particularly unique patterns custom cutting is done in India and requires 8 to 10 weeks for completion and shipping.
- It is important to choose stone that is optimized for its intended purpose. Some Banas Stones® products may be more tolerant than others due to the porous nature of natural stone including certain sandstone, limestone and granite - its surface may be absorbent making it a poor choice for areas that droppings may occur. (e.g. - Wet Leaves, Fruits, Seeds, Pine Cones, etc.) For more information on which stone is best suited for your landscape project please contact the office by email or by phone (905) 857-9684.
- We do not recommend an excessive use of salt during the winter season on any Banas products as it can cause fading and damages to the stone. We recommend using if any, small amounts of salt and that the original salt placed on the stone is completely cleaned off before reapplying salt. This will prevent damages and stains caused that may change and severely worsen the colour of a stone. Any warranty issues including the use of salt are void.
- We recommend that all light colored stones including but not limited to Banas Ivory, Banas Beige, Banas Lavender, Banas Flint, Banas Grey, Banas Fossil, etc. not be installed on sand or limestone screening. Please note that light colored natural stone should be installed on concrete, gravel or HPB (High Performance Bedding) for better drainage. These stones will easily pickup stains from water running above or below due to the porousness of natural stone. Sandstone being of a porous nature acts as a wick for the moisture content, drying from the base up towards the surface of the flagstone. The tiny particles can be carried upwards by water and left on the surface as the water evaporates, creating a more or less permanent stain.
Please note: Banas Ivory is NOT covered under any warranty for any current/ previous purchases. This product will be discontinued solely in 2016. This includes and is not limited to exchanges, quality and damages such as stains, oxidization, discolouring and fading.